2.2.12

The Party!

For the little man's first birthday, I decided to do a surfer theme.  I had a few other themes in mind at first, but this one seemed to come together pretty easily, so we went with it!  I haven't planned a birthday party since working in California, so it was fun to stretch my legs again in this department.  I actually really enjoy it.  (Those of you who know how much I love birthday wouldn't find that all too shocking...)  I had so many ideas and not as much room on my credit card...ha ha.  

As it  happens, watching Cake Boss and Cupcake Girls does, in fact, NOT make me the master decorator I had envisioned myself as.  All things considered, they turned out fine.  Not as glamorous as I had in my head, but they worked nonetheless!  

I think it all turned out pretty cute though.  Who am I kidding?  He won't remember a thing.  It was more for me.  I LOVE BIRTHDAYS!!!

We had a lot of Jake's family over (we're super lucky that so many of them are here in Calgary), a couple close friends and then my parents were able to drive up for it which was wonderful!  Thanks everyone!!!

As I imagined he would, he was pretty instantly intent on touching the candle, so I had to keep it a ways back while everyone sang.  He's doing a new thing where he loves to feed anyone who will let him, hence the cake on my face:)
Once the candle was out, he lost all interest in the cake completely.  Just done.  He finally stuck his finger down the little hole where the candle was.  I tried everything, whilst everyone is looking on, waiting for him to destroy this cake and he didn't want it.  I even put some on my finger and he just swatted it away.  After a minute of a now, group effort to coax him into trying it, he finally did.  Oh, the joy of refined sugar for the first time.  He got a good 20 minutes of glorious cake destruction and eating, followed by 30 minutes of a wild first sugar high, immediately followed by an equally impressive sugar crash.  He slept for 13 hours. (Yay!)

Happy Birthday Sweet Boy!

2 comments:

  1. awesome! see! you should give him sugar every night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww he is soo cute Jamie!! love it!! and awesome job on the birthday party!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete