26.7.10

I'm Growing...Rapidly.

I went home for Magrath Days this past weekend and had my mom take a picture of my rapidly growing tummy.  Jake hasn't seen it yet.  I was BARELY showing any signs of it at the beginning of the month when he left.  Thankfully, he gets home Thursday!  FINALLY.  I'm also including a cute picture of him when I surprised him with the news. 
How I told him is, I think, worth sharing.  I was at off-site meetings for 2 days that week and really struggling to stay awake.  More than normal.  I mean I was actually looking around trying to scout out a place where I could sneak away and catch a mini siesta before I fell asleep at the table, surrounded by my bosses.  To wake myself up, I decided to venture out for a bathroom break.  I just happened to have a test in my purse (long, non-interesting story for that), so I thought, why not?  Just for fun.  To my utter shock and disbelief, it came back positive.  It was the LONGEST afternoon of waiting to tell Jake EVER.  Wanting to see his reaction in person, I decided to wait the 6 hours until I got home to tell him in person.  Needless to say, I got my incentive to stay awake.  I don't have a clue what the rest of the meeting was about. 

So on the way home, I stopped at the store and got a little gift bag, some tissue paper and wrapped up the little digital present to take home.  I called Jake and told him that I had a gift for him from the meeting.  He asked if he would like it.  I assured him he would.  Got home, gave him a hug and kiss, and handed him the gift bag.  He put it on the desk.  I politely invited him to revisit it, and open it.  He dug through the tissue paper, pulled out the test, smiled, said thank you and proceeded to put it back in the bag.  Nothing.  No celebration.  No cheering.  Nothing.

Naturally, I gave him a very puzzled look.  I didn't even know what to say other than "Really?".  I must have severely glamorized his reaction throughout the afternoon.  I had,after all, pictured cheering and celebration for the big news.  Not a cordial "thank you" with a casual gift re-placement on the desk!  Noticing I was disappointed by his lack of enthusiasm, he decided to give it another look to appease me.  Suddenly, he started to have the reaction I was expecting.  His eyes got big, he looked at me, looked at the test followed by a "Wait...WHAT?!  Oh my GOSH!".  Pause.  Wheels keep turning.  Eyes get bigger. "Is this YOURS?!".  I pause.  "Of COURSE it's MINE!" 
Then came my previously imagined, glamorized reaction.  Turns out, he initially thought I had brought him a tastefully packaged, comedically over-sized pen from the meeting.  That's what good wives do, you know.  They bring home pens.

5 comments:

  1. YAYAYAYYAYAYAYAY!!! awwww jamie i am sooooo happy for you guys! that will be the cutest little baby EVER!!! I can't wait to take pictures! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story! You look so cute with your micro mini belly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHAHA - that is funny. I can totally believe he thought it was a pen. Your little bump is very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so funny I didn't know that was his reaction...I mean who doesn't like a peed on pen!! How is that cute little bump..how long til your ultrasound?

    ReplyDelete
  5. jamie congrats that is so exciting!!!!! and how funny that he thought you brought him a pen!!! i can't wait to keep following your blog. we miss you. by the way your little, key word, belly is so cute!!! love ya

    amy and scott

    ReplyDelete