19.1.11

My First Hospital Visit

I had my first hospital visit yesterday - which, although a little nerve-racking - was probably good since now I know where I'm going.  I had my regular weekly appointment yesterday and they ended up sending me to the hospital for a more thorough assessment.  My blood pressure was 141/100 throughout the appointment and they were concerned that my water may be broken and slowly leaking.

I decided to go home first so I could put my hospital bag in the car (just in case), let Tess out in case I was gone for several hours and take a minute to get myself together.  I was having a minor panic attack at this point.  If my water was broken, they would be keeping me in and inducing me, so I wanted to feel a little more prepared.  Probably not the best idea to go home, but I would do it again:)  I felt much more calm driving to the hospital afterwards.

I called Jake and let him know that he needed to keep his phone on him, then my parents, to warn them of a possible impending trip and made my way there.  They took some blood to make sure I wasn't toxic and hooked me up to the fetal monitors.  My blood pressure stayed relatively high for the first hour, then started to level out again.  Baby is doing great and was kicking up a storm!  When the doctor finally got there, she couldn't find any amniotic fluid, but it didn't mean it's not there.  I also had several contractions while I was hooked up to the monitors (and have been having several an hour since), am already at 3cms.  She put me on "semi bed rest" at home for a few days.  Turns out, my definition of "taking it easy" and theirs vary slightly.  Mine is not going to work every day, but still getting to do whatever I want.  Theirs, is laying on the couch or in bed for most of the day.  We'll see how that goes!  They want me get past 38 weeks (end of this week), but this little guy may come sooner rather than later.  She said it's very unlikely I'll make it to the due date at this point.  I go back on Friday to see how things are progressing.

So, here I am at home "taking it easy" without the drawer organizers I wanted to pick up, floors un-vacuumed, and a little uneasy/excited.   We're getting close!  Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment