The first trimester seemed like an eternity. Literally, the longest weeks of my life. Waiting to tell people our exciting news, watching the button get farther and farther away from the elusive button hole of my jeans. Baggier clothes at work to hide the tiny bump, playing off the nausea and of course Jake was gone for nearly a month of it, so I didn't even get the full nausea sympathy! It seemed like 9 months was forever away.
Suddenly, I'm entering my third trimester and I can't figure out what happened to the second! I didn't get the glorious weeks that the books and websites profess will settle in starting at week 13. My nausea never quite went away, though I did get my energy back. Maybe that's why it went so quickly. I wasn't dragging myself around all day (plus we got to go to Mexico!). Still, I can't believe there are only 3 months left. I suddenly feel so unprepared!
I had to go get all my blood work and my Gestational Diabetes test done today and while I was sitting in the waiting room, waiting for the sickly syrupy, sugary orange drink to take it's course and get some insulin pumping, it hit me that February 2nd is really right around the corner! The drink is kind of unpleasant, but could have been worse I'm sure. At least it had some flavor. I also had the pleasure of having an irrationally crabby lab tech who barked at me the whole time I was getting my blood drawn, and clearly loathed any kind of small talk to ease my slight anxiety about having 6 tubes of blood drawn. I mean, really, who looks forward to getting needles? Come on. There were no pleasantries, like "Hello".
Tech: "Name."
Jamie: "Jamie"
Tech: "No...SPELL. YOUR. NAME."
Jamie (a little shocked at this point at her assumption): "Oh, I'm sorry. It's J...A...M..." etcTech: "Lay your arm flat. Make a fist....Make a BETTER fist."
Jamie: "Wow, that's a lot of tubes - looks like you're going to drain me today."
Tech: "No, I'm NOT." She may as well have added a DUH on the end.
Jamie: "Right. I didn't REALLY think you would actually take ALL of my blood. My bad. Just a little nervous."
Cricket...Cricket...Poke...Cricket...Cricket...Needle comes out after 6 tubes.
She then took my right hand and put it over the cotton ball on my left arm and told me not to move it for 2 minutes, then scolded me when I picked up my purse with my only free hand when I left not on cotton ball duty. Lovely. I'm hoping that everything comes back okay, so I don't have to go back to see her again. Such a gem.
On a much nicer note, last night I spent some time in the empty "nursery" folding tiny socks, tiny wash cloths, towels and tiny, fuzzy blankets. I'm SO excited to have something to put in them! Now we just need some furniture:) Yay!


James, I can not believe how fast time goes...February IS right around the corner! It will give us something to look forward to after the holidays are over...a little baby Swainson. That makes me so happy to think about! Love you guys, Rach
ReplyDeletep.s. Your story made me laugh...such a gem...so Jamie.
LOVE
Hey girl I was just blog stalking off Heather's blog and saw your name and thought that maybe it was you. I'm commenting on your blog because my due date is Febuary 3rd!!! Except we are having twins, a boy and a girl, but I just wanted to say congradulations and I hope that everything else goes well for you through your pregnancy. Oh by the way this is Emma from Ricks, Rossi's roommate!!! What are you having???? and I totally hear you on can't wait to have something to put all those sute tiny things in, because my stack just keeps getting bigger and the dresser is not here yet, grrrrr!
ReplyDelete