17.11.10

Birthdays

I'm officially 31.  Yikes.  It sounds so much older than 30 for some reason.  Must be that extra syllable?  I was thinking a lot about birthdays yesterday, more specifically birthdays when I was little, and why I still feel like they're supposed to be a big deal, even though they probably shouldn't be:)  At this age, when anyone asks what you want for your birthday, most people politely respond with, "Oh, nothing...it's not a big deal".  For some people, it isn't. I also think that we secretly don't REALLY feel that way. Everyone likes to be pampered a little bit.  Admit it!


For me, I still have some kind of (possibly an irrational expectation of) entitlement for having a fantastically special day.  The more I thought about it, the more I realized why.  Poor Jake didn't realize he'd married a birthday monster:)  So sorry honey.  I love you.  The reality is, that he treats me like it's my birthday every day.  He's so amazingly good to me. 


It was fun to think back on being a kid again, especially since we have one on the way.  I'm excited to start new traditions and carry on old ones.  I'm excited to make him feel as special on his birthday, as my parents made me feel on mine.


When I was little, birthdays were almost magical at our house.  It was back when we didn't worry about age unless someone accused us of being younger than we were.  Now it's a cause for celebration!  Back when we looked forward to proudly adding on the "and a half" to our age when people asked.  I suppose I never quite grew out of it.  I definitely grew out of the "and a half" stage.  I didn't, however, seem grow out of my birthday excitement I guess, try as I might. 


So for a moment, I'm going to indulge in reminiscing about the few little birthday traditions from my childhood and why they were so special.


Every year, on my birthday, I would wake up and find presents at the foot of my bed.  What a fun way to wake up!!!  The family would all file in to sing Happy Birthday and then open them with me.


The breakfast of my choice was eaten off of, not the USUAL plate, but the special red birthday plate and cup, reserved for birthday meals only.  Everyone else used regular stuff and we were surrounded with little birthday decorations, balloons, a banner etc.


My mom would bring my favorite cookies (Gum Drop Cookies) to school part way through the day to share with the whole class and then, after school, we would work on my cake of choice for later.


Dinner, my choice again, with the special red plate and glass.  Then, extended family would come over for a little get together to celebrate that night while we blew out candles, sang and had what was always the best cake ever!  My mom would always do special cakes for us - the one I always remember was my Care Bear cake.  The kind you do in the molded pans and decorate with all the different frosting tubes and tips:)  She did them SO well and is so talented!  They were really something to see.  The rest of the night was spent playing and visiting with everyone.


I don't remember the gifts I got, there were no extraordinary events or expenses, but I do remember feeling like the most important person in the world for the day and the day long excitement/anticipation of it all.  Birthdays were wonderful.  I'm excited to do the same things for my kids, and for Jake too.  As it turns out, while I don't necessarily love the idea of getting older, I guess I do love birthdays!  Thanks Mom and Dad:)

3 comments:

  1. Your childhood birthdays sound wonderful! How very special that your parents (especially your mom) have given you such fun birthday traditions to carry on. Poor Jake has a lot to live up to. Can't wait to hear about the special things you think of to do for your own little guy's birthdays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ps. Of course we all secretly want our birthdays to be fantastically wonderful and ALL about us! We should all get to wake up to presents and have someone bring us cookies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Birthdays are the BEST!!! My sister has let her birthday grow from a day to a "birhday week." And believe it or not we all bought into it! And give her extra love & attention all week. Your next question, she is 25. And now that she shares her birthday week with her daughter she is pushing for a birthday month! But to you Jamie, Happy Birthday!! I am so happy you were born! You make me happy!

    ReplyDelete